Monday, December 10, 2012

Week 1 of real potty training!

So I remember posting earlier in my blog.... like a year ago or more, that Niko was potty training. He was two years old when we bought him a CARS potty seat that went on the adult toilet. I would sit him on the toilet and tell him that was where he was going to use the potty. He would tell me "no" and then I would get him off and put a training diaper on him. I did this for one year. You can read about Niko's first potty training days, here and here. Mikey and I didn't realize those training diapers were practically diapers. I thought the whole point of wearing a training diaper was so that the child would feel wet or dirty and want to change and eventually use the potty. Niko would pee or poop and he would walk around like normal. He was a bit bothered when he had poop but it wasn't urgent like I thought it would be. I continued doing what I was doing for a whole year. I talked to friends and family and everyone would tell us different stories. Some said "don't rush it, he will eventually learn", and some said, " just take the diaper off". We tried different things with Niko except taking the diaper off and letting him run around with nothing. I figured having a new baby around it would be too difficult to be cleaning after Niko, while nursing Nathaniel every two hours. So we let the whole year past and then Niko turned 3 years old. Mikey and I kept talking about how we needed to help Niko more with this potty training deal. We decided we were just going to take his diaper off as soon as I was finished with my first trimester of pregnancy so I could handle the messes better. We also bought Niko a new CARS potty aaaaaand NEW CAR UNDIES. The potty we bought was one that is small and sits on the floor and has wheels.



It opens up and he sits down on it and when he's finished peeing or pooing we take the little bowl and pour it down the toilet!

December 3rd, 2012 was Niko's First official day wearing undies and no diapers. 

He had a few accidents but at the end of the day when Daddy was home he sat on the potty and pee peed for the first time in the potty!! We gave Niko some M&Ms and gave him big hugs and kisses! Mommy even danced with him in the bathroom! It was a huge celebration!

December 4th - Niko went potty all by himself! He pulled his pants down and peed in potty!! Later that night he pooped in his undies... Hopefully that won't happen again, because that was real yuck!

December 5th- Niko woke up at 6am after having his night time pull up on for an hour in the morning he took his pull up off and peed in the potty all by himself!! 

The whole week it has been like this; Niko taking small steps in mastering the potty! He still has some troubles when we are out of the house. We didn't have any accidents at Bobby's house for Bible study on Friday night, but we had some accidents at Hannah's Birthday party on Saturday and at Grammy's and Grandma's house on Sunday. Niko did try and use the potty at all those places and did very well for his first week of official potty training! We are so proud of our growing boy!