Thursday, March 6, 2014

Sonlight Curriculum starting in August!!!!

I've been homeschooling Niko and Nathan since Niko turned 4, which will be 1 year in September! I didn't know what to expect but I knew I truly desired to home-school my own kiddos! People have asked me if our kiddos will ever go to school and my answer has always been I don't know. I am taking homeschooling day by day and enjoying these days very much with my little guys. Who knows what the future holds, but like I've said before and I'll say again, I am not opposed to sending them to school if that is what The Lord leads Mikey and I to do later in life. :) I have been using my own home made curriculum. We've been going over the Calendar, ABC's, numbers, sounds, shapes, and having Bible and praying (worship time). I have been able to learn more about Niko and Nathan, their learning styles and the interesting things they remember and teach back to me! Home-schooling is challenging but I have a feeling I will never look back on these years and say to myself, "man, what a waste of my time and energy".  Daily I ask Christ for wisdom and strength on raising my kiddos and it's through His Holy Spirit that I have found the joy and strength in home schooling my kids. :)

What are some advantages that I have found homeschooling my kids?

Learning can take place anywhere and I can make a teachable moment about anything throughout my day!

I have the freedom to explore the boys individual interests and accommodate the lesson to their learning styles.

I have the opportunity to nurture and provide that individual attention throughout my day for my kiddos.

I have the free ability to impart family values throughout our learning process!

I have that intimate involvement, knowledge and guidance regarding my kiddos education.

I have an opportunity to help my kids with independent thinking and problem solving.

I have an opportunity to challenge my kids on learning about our character and behavior.

I can encourage them in their learning process to gain the knowledge they need, not just the "grade".

We have leniency to do what we need to do throughout our day and or so the kids can participate in other learning activities, or sports.

I have the freedom to pray with my kids and teach out of the Bible :)

I can teach my kids history, science, literature, art, music, math, crafts, house work, yard work and not be concerned if they will pass a "test" so I can get the funding I need for more supplies.

I feel absolutely blessed that I am able to home-school them now, and I know that if we do later on choose to send them to school, Mikey and I will be very involved in their education and teaching them truth of history and creationism where the public schools fail or are not capable of teaching.

We start SONLIGHT in AUGUST!!!! Here is a quick link if you desire to check out the curriculum we will be using for our family!

Sonlight

And here is a video of our boys memorizing their Bible verse for this week! So blessed we have the Word of God we can store in our heart daily!!