I knew I was going to forget some words that Niko says at this stage, and sure enough I missed many of them. But there was one word I forgot that I couldn't just leave out, so I am making a post out of it.
I'm not sure if this is what other moms do, or maybe I'm just unique in this. Of course a part of me would like to admit I am unique and no other mom does these kinds of things. And then there is this other part of me that longs to just relate to other moms, and feel like I am "normal". All to say, I like to make food sound fun and yummy, even if it's changing the name a little to spark the attention and maybe increase a desire in their heart to want to try this new yummy delicious food, that they've never seen before. The one thing that I have to remember and now I am doing more of is, even though I may change the name a little, I have to teach the correct word also. Because then well, he could eventually be in college one day asking his roommate if he wants to join him for a cup of "foffee" and maybe grab some "munch" later. I would feel horrible! So I say all this so you get the idea behind this post I am about to write.
Niko loves loves loves Waffles for breakfast! He can eat Waffles every morning if it was for him. Mikey and I have conversations about once a month on how Niko needs to try new things for his morning meal. We've tried oatmeal, cereal, eggs, papas and chorizo, and he eats all those things, but he prefers Waffles. A part of us likes that he prefers Waffles because they're easy to make. Well they come in a box and you just gotta toast them. It's easy, and it works for me since I'm still half asleep in the bright and early morning.
One morning sometime when Niko was about 1 year and half, we ran out of Waffles. Niko calls Waffles, "awfuls" and all that morning he kept saying "awful", "awful", "AWFULLL"!! I opened up our pantry and found some pancake mix, and quickly thought up of a solution. I was going to make him some pancakes. But I'm not gonna call them pancakes, because well his mind is already set on Waffles. So because I am so unique and different ;) I told Niko, I had some "waffle balls" for him. He looked at me with this puzzled look, but he likes Waffles and he loves to play with the ball, I figured this is a perfect name! He will say yes! And he will eat and be happy! I showed him the batter how it has lumps, like balls, and I how I had to mix the balls to make it look like a Waffle.
then I pour the little balls to make a bigger ball.. a flat ball
Niko was sold for it! He tried it and loved it!!! I was happy! Mainly because it was something new!!
Niko still favors "awfulls" for breakfast, but now he also loves "awful balls"!
Mikey woke up one Saturday morning and asked me if I could make him some waffle balls for breakfast! Niko was excited! I said, of course I will make you some "awful balls" :)
*and no worries, I am teaching Niko the proper word. He will not go to college asking his roommate if he wants "awful balls" with "foffee".


