Friday, January 11, 2013

School...

Mikey found this picture online. He said it was, "A pretty accurate description of our public education system". 
I have to say, I completely agree with him on this!! 

Mikey and I have had much discussion about this subject. We have had good conversations about our own experiences with school. Mikey has always known I've had a desire to teach.... it wasn't until a little after we had Niko did he fully understand what kind of teacher I desired to be...

When I first decided I wanted to become a teacher, I saw myself making a difference in children's lives. I saw myself getting at their level of understanding by observing them and getting to know them. I saw myself getting to know their learning styles well enough where I would build my lessons and activities around my students. I believe that God has created us so uniquely. We all learn, but we all learn differently. We learn at different speeds. We learn at different times. We all listen differently. We all comprehend differently. We look different, we have different characteristics and behavior styles. We are all so unique and beautiful in HIS eyes.

God has blessed me with a HUGE desire to teach, mentor and counsel. I believe in my heart the Lord has gifted me with this. 

I am in a season in my life where the Lord is blessing me with a house full of young children. Children that He has given to Mikey and I to raise and nurture. As I pray and seek the Lord more with my children, He is giving me a heart for them!

The Lord is calling me to this area in my own children's life.

 I believe in my heart that Niko, Nathaniel and our Baby #3 can get a really good education from some fabulous teachers in the El Paso, Socorro or Ysleta Districts. I know this because I was public schooled. I had teachers that loved what they did and they loved their students. These teachers gave their time, and love into their work and for them I am thankful for. I learned to read when I was 6 years old. I learned how to add and subtract in the 2nd grade. My parents played an active role in my education, which help me understand how important education was and is! Through my parents example, I grew a desire to be responsible, a good student, a good friend, a good listener, a respectful person. I grew a huge desire to please them and make them proud of me. I desired to work hard and because of my parents being there for me, I learned and did so well in school! I graduated from Franklin High-school in May of 99' and I got my Bachelors Degree in Early Childhood Education from NMSU in 04'.

See, I grew up in a house where education was very important. In fact it was so important that I grew a huge desire to continue it and become an educator myself. 

Fast forwarding to today... I sit on my couch and observe my two boys play. I see how unique they are. I see how smart they are in their own way and their ability to learn and grasp things is so unique to them. The Lord has given me a huge interest in their education. He has blessed me with the passion of learning more about them! For example; what interests them, what hand they hold the crayon/spoon, what books they love, what kind of music they like and what kind of rhythm or melody they prefer, how they comprehend directions, when is their best learning times, what kind of skills are they grasping and so on..

 I am filled with joy to know that the Lord has given me what it takes to educate my own children! I trust that through Him I can do this! I have a huge desire to do this and it has taken me a while to put it into words or even come out and say it. I know that Home schooling is different. I know that Home school kids are at times looked at as socially inept. I understand this is a huge sacrifice! Will my children get the education they need to graduate and move on to college? Will they still make friends? Will I be too worn out to be a good mom/wife? Will I be the best teacher I can be for them? All these questions have been answered by Jesus Christ giving me peace about this decision that we have chosen for our boys.

How long will I choose to home-school? I am taking this step by step. I am trusting the Lord in it!

Will I ever become a teacher in a school district? I am taking it step by step. I have a bachelors degree in education and can always be a teacher in the district. My children won't always be this young and I have a driven desire to be their educator! Preparing them each step of their way! Teaching them Biblical, Historical Truths! Learning by doing (Going out and discovering this world)! Getting them involved in outside activities/sports (having exposure with other children)!

Will it be easy? NO. Will I slack off some days? Yes! Will I wonder, what am I doing? Yes! Will I trust God in it all? Yes!

Will my children ever get education in a school district setting? I have my own opinions of why I dislike public schools but that does not mean, I will never allow my children to go to public school. I am taking this step by step and trusting God in it all!

Will you pray with me and for me as I take this next new exciting step in my life? It feels so good to share my news!! I have had this desire since I had Niko in my belly, but never knew the words how to say it! Thank you for letting me share my news!

  I will start home-schooling Niko when he turns 4 years old!!